Clearly I didn't manage the everyday in May challenge 'cause here it is SEPTEMBER. It is September and I am enjoying a gorgeous afternoon in Tel Aviv, Israel. Tel Aviv is a vibrant, metropolitan city by the sea. The people are friendly and clearly don't mind the HEAT. It is hot here. Yes, I was born and raised in Florida, but it is REALLY hot here.
Yesterday we went to Masada. It was EXTREMELY hot there. Masada was the winter palace of Herod the Great. He was the one who tried to outsmart God, by having all the children under 2 killed when Jesus was a baby. God was smarter and sent Mary and Joseph to Egypt. I digress. Masada sits high atop a hill overlooking the Dead Sea and the view is spectacular. Long after Herod died in about 72 AD, Jerusalem had succumbed to the Romans and the 2nd Temple had been destroyed, Jewish rebels held this palace area. Seeing the Romans approaching, knowing there was no hope of victory and faced with the knowledge that they would either die at the hands of the Romans or be forced into slavery these nearly 1000 men, women and children killed themselves. I haven't decided whether I agree with their decision, but as my guide so eloquently put it, "at least it was their choice."
From this very HOT, beautiful palace we went down the road to the Mineral Spa to enjoy the, even hotter, Dead Sea. We went down to the beach, covered ourselves in mud, took a float in the Dead Sea and then went to the cooler, more refreshing sulfur pool with it's temperature at 110 F. It was actually cool compared to the outside air temperature. Have I mentioned that it was hot yesterday?
It was a good, albeit HOT day which ended with a really yummy dinner in an old railway station.
Today, guess what? It was HOT again.
"When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. 'Get up,' he said, 'take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.'” Matthew 2:13
No comments:
Post a Comment